with Dr. Ayla Lester
Naturopathic Doctor (ND)
The health care practice of naturopathic medicine is a distinct system of primary health care in which naturopathic doctors diagnose, treat, and prevent illness (both acute and chronic). It is a practice of medicine that encourages the use of natural substances, and or exposure to nature and its elements, as catalysts to restore balance in the body through triggering an adaptive response. Other strategies employed for improving health include: Lowering the toxic burden in the body and providing nourishment in cases of deficiency or to stimulate a healing response and overall balance of body systems.
Clinical assessment includes a thorough case taking that involves a deep exploration of your symptoms, past medical history, your family's health history, lifestyle habits (sleep, exercise, stress levels), diet, mental/emotional wellbeing, and any barriers you might have to optimal health. Physical examination, blood tests and functional laboratory assessments assist in understanding the root cause of your symptoms. Treatments emphasizes evidence-based natural therapies to holistically support the body’s innate ability to heal, maintain health, and prevent disease. While supporting you in this process, our biggest work is to empower you to take control of your own health, providing you with tools to incorporate into your daily life to encourage your inner healing, and continual health.
I believe that health affects our happiness, the way we see ourselves, the way we connect with others, and the way we perceive and experience our world. It has a direct impact on our ability to live in every moment. Naturopathic medicine gives me the ability to help patients with a variety of conditions.
Good health enables us to do what we love, and live an experience-rich life full of energy & light.
My goal is simple; to support you (all of you) in health, naturally.
The six principles of Naturopathic Medicine
First, Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere)
Naturopathic doctors utilize the most natural, least invasive, and least toxic therapies. The natural therapies used are viewed as existing on a spectrum of force or potential for risk or harm, and are selected conservatively, preferentially selecting the least invasive, safest option.
The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae)
Naturopathic doctors trust in the inherent wisdom of your body to heal itself, and we help to restore and support this powerful force.
Identify and Treat the Causes (Tolle Causal)
Naturopathic doctors look beyond your symptoms at the root cause of disease. Rather than just eliminating your symptoms by treating them, we target treating the main cause of why you are experiencing symptoms in the first place.
Doctor as Teacher (Docere)
Naturopathic doctors support and empower you to lead your best life through education on achieving and maintaining optimal health.
Treat the Whole Person
Naturopathic doctors view your body holistically as we know disease affects you as a whole person and not just one organ or system. We address every facet of your health- your physical health (physiological, biological, and biochemical), mental health, and emotional wellbeing.
Health entails functioning on the highest level. A main focus of naturopathic care is disease prevention and life-long wellness. We advocate necessary screenings to promote preventative medicine, and aim to reduce the existence of chronic disease.
The Naturopathic Therapeutic Order:
- Remove obstacles to health
- Stimulate the vis (your body’s healing capacity or life force)
- Strengthen weakened systems
- Correct structural integrity
- Use natural substances to restore and regenerate
- Use pharmacological substances to halt progressive pathology (medical doctors, and some naturopathic doctors hold prescription rights depending on the state or provincial regulation)
- Use high force, invasive modalities: surgery, radiation, chemotherapy (medical doctors)
As a licensed Naturopathic Doctor (ND), I am medically trained and naturally focused. But first and foremost, I want to get to know who you are, what is important to you, and what you want to get up to in this world.
“It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease then to know what sort of disease a person has” - Hippocrates, the Father of Medicine
I incorporate a holistic approach to viewing your body and believe in the healing power of nature. This is your body's ability to heal itself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually when provided the proper terrain. I focus on preventative medicine that involves detecting and addressing the root cause of your symptoms in order to address imbalances and dysfunction upstream (before these symptoms meet the criteria for a diagnosis).
Naturopathic services and treatment combines adjunctive natural therapies with modern medicine. These are integrative, both evidence-based and eclectic, emphasizing the important role of diet and lifestyle in overall well-being.
In my practice I believe in a complete mind, body, soul approach to living by incorporating these core pillars of natural health to create a sustainable and healthy lifestyle.
a core element in health
a daily practice
a sustainable, non-chaotic lifestyle
to nature, purpose, & others
My general medicine practice treats many common conditions with a special focus on naturopathic services and care for women looking for help with:
- Improving energy, sleep, and moods
- Stress management
- Digestive issues & GI health
- Hormonal imbalances
- Weight loss
- Wellness optimization & preventative medicine
- Irregular or heavy periods
- Menstrual cramping or painful periods
- Migraines and headaches
- Weight loss
- Digestive disorders (IBS, Crohns, Ulcerative, Colitis, SIBO, H-pylori)
- Candidia overgrowth
- Bloating, gas, cramping, constipation
- Heartburn (GERD)
- Allergies/Food sensitivities
- Celiac Disease
- Chronic Stress/burnout
- Thyroid Issues
- Female sex-hormone imbalances
- Menopausal Symptoms
- Low Libido/sex drive
- Chronic Fatigue
- Sleep disturbances
- Hair loss
- Dry skin
- Difficulty losing or gaining weight
- Waking unrested, “feeling tired but wired,” or crashing in the afternoon, sleep issues
- Low energy
- Inconsistencies in mood
- Loss of direction or purpose in life
- Poor memory and trouble concentrating
- Difficulty calming the mind
- High blood pressure
- Pre-diabetes or metabolic syndrom obesity or weight management troubles
- Weight loss
- Non-rejuvenating sleep
- Overwhelming stress
- Getting sick often, low immunity
- Needing support with detox
Naturopathic Services Offered
INTRAVENOUS NUTRIENT THERAPY:
An effective way to provide a powerful boost of vitamins and minerals directly into your bloodstream is Intravenous (IV) nutrient therapy. It gives an immediate and lasting boost in energy.
IV nutrient therapy is useful in:
- Improving energy
- Correcting nutritional deficiencies
- Re-hydrating the body
- Preventing colds and flus
- Supporting detoxification
- Relaxing a stressed-out body
- Creating glowing, beautiful skin
- Hangover prevention and therapy
- Preventing headaches
- Managing anxiety & depression
- Alleviating allergies
IM or Intramuscular injections provide the body with concentrated doses of nutrients. Due to the muscles having an abundant blood supply, injected nutrients can be quickly dispersed into your blood and used.
IM injection therapy is useful in:
- improving energy
- correcting nutritional deficiencies
- balancing moods
- preventing headaches
- supporting detoxification
- helping to build muscle mass
- improving physical performance
- reducing muscle pain and spasms
- muscle injury recovery
- weight management
- managing nerve pain
HERBAL TINCTURES & EXTRACTS:
Offering liquid and capsule based herbal preparations in various strengths, tailored for certain health conditions to support your body's individual needs.
The ancient philosophy of Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupuncture uses small needles placed on the outside of your body along meridians (or pathways) to shift, balance and restore health inside the body. Physiological change in your body occurs through stimulating energy (Qi) along these meridians which link to specific organ systems.
Soft tissue mobilization (chiropractic adjustments), alignment massage, acupuncture, electro-stimulation, and custom exercise programs.
We will go through an orthopaedic assessment to determine which form of physical medicine is right for you.
I provide a space for you to be fully heard and heal what needs healing.
Implementing tools to support a strong sense of self and living your true purpose promotes increased energy, stress management and relaxation, assists in healthy eating through meal planning and optimizing your sleep.
These diagnostics assessments look to find dysfunction before it progresses to disease, they are private functional laboratory assessments and are different than the lab testing offered through your medical doctor and may be salivary, stool, urinary, or blood.
Lab requisitions are available to run blood lab work privately (this is not covered by Alberta Health Care). We are also able to work in collaboration with your family physician in order to try and have some of the basic testing covered.
Companies that we can direct bill:
- Blue Cross
- Sun Life Financial
- The Great West Life Assurance Company
- Chambers of Commerce Group Insurance Plan
- Desjardins Insurance
- Industrial Alliance Financial Group
- Johnston Group
- Maximum Benefit
- Standard Life (Assumed by Manulife)
Notes on direct billing:
- All visits performed by our Naturopathic Doctor will be billed as a “Naturopathic consultation”. Some treatments performed by a Naturopathic Doctor may be covered under your health insurance.
- You will be responsible for paying the full cost of the appointment if the insurance claim to your insurance that we submit on your behalf comes back “Pending/for Review”. In this case we will collect payment and then re-submit the claim for you in which it will be payable to you. Generally, amounts covered by insurance companies are paid to you within about a week.
- You will also be responsible for payment when services are rendered should your insurance company deny the claim, your coverage is maxed out, or your plan has been terminated.
- If you have secondary insurance coverage through a spouse or other, you will have to submit that bill yourself. We will not direct bill to a secondary insurance company for you.